Music Memory Moment: Total eclipse of the heart

When I was 16, a high school friend of mine and I used to go to this pub in the centre of town (to this day, the drinking age in the Netherlands remains only 16 for beer and wine-18 for harder stuff).

This was the pub to go to, which does not say much as we only had about five pubs in total, but still. We would go there on a Friday or Saturday night, all dressed up and ready to meet boys.

Or at least my friend would be. Dressed up that is. I was probably wearing something like my fave jeans and a t-shirt. I had not fully realized yet that boys were so not what I was looking for.

Most nights we would just sit at a table and drink our beers. We would sit there all alone and wonder why no boys were joining us. Looking back on it now, it wasn’t all that surprising.

When you are 16, everything matters, and thus not hooking up with any cute boys was like the worst thing in the world. We were convinced we were the only girls in school who had not kissed a boy yet, and we were really worried we would be alone forever.

Yep, we were such drama queens. I remember on one of these nights Total eclipse of the heart by Bonnie Tyler was playing and we both thought it was the most depressing song ever.

I don’t think we ever really listened to the lyrics, or had a clue what the song was about. We just decided this was a depressing song that fit perfectly with our horrible lives. We just said there in silence listening to that song, drinking our beers and getting even more depressed.

Life is hard when you are 16, or at least it feels that way.

We both ended up kissing boys that summer, which after years of anticipation was quite a disappointment. At least it was for me. I did not get what the big deal was, and I remained clueless until I finally kissed a girl a few years later.

My friend actually met her husband at that same pub about a year later. For him it was love at first sight, for her…well, I have always thought she settled, marrying the first guy who ever showed any real interest.

The pub no longer exists. I walked by the other day and I think there is now some kind of restaurant in its place. It’s a shame, because I would have loved to have taken a look. Oh well, at least the memories remain.

Comments