47 books I read in 2016

2016 was a pretty good year for reading. I didn't reach my goal of reading 50 books, but reading 47 books in a year is still pretty impressive, even if I say so myself. I read some really great books, some incredibly bad books and some pretty average books, but overall I really enjoyed the books that I read. My reading challenge for 2017 is to once again try to read 50 books. Let's see how well I do this year.

Below are the covers of all books I read in 2016. There's too many of them to discuss them all, but I will highlight some of my favorite and least favorite books of 2016. 


Some of my favorite books of 2016:

There were so many books that I loved it is hard to just pick a few. I mainly read crime novels and lesbian romance novels this year - with a few fantasy and other genre books thrown in. My favorite crime novels were 3 books all by authors I always enjoy reading: Pretty girls by Karin Slaughter, Find her by Lisa Gardner and Stranger in the room by Amanda Kyle Williams. What all 3 books have in common is they are all very well written, with interesting main characters and a great plot with twists and turns that totally captivates you and makes you want to keep reading and never put these books down.

Lesbian romance novels are definitely by guilty pleasure. Some are clearly better than others though. The ones I enjoy the most are those that actually tell a story and include a love story that's actually believable. It's hard to explain when something is believable, I guess often it's just a matter of 'feeling it'. Some of my favorites this year included: AJ Quin's Rules of revenge, Melissa Brayden's First postion and Gerri Hill's Devil's Rock. There's quite some difference in quality between these books though. Whereas Gerri Hill is really good at writing simple pulpy romance novels, Melissa Brayden actually tells a good stroy. I've read a few of her books this year and I loved them all. I call it 'gay chicklit', which is surprisingly enjoyable.


The worst books I read in 2016:

The worst book I read this year was definitely The Stolen kiss by Francine Saint Marie. It's the third book in the Secret trilogy, an over the top unbelievable story of two women who develop an obsessive attraction for one another. The story was just too weird and twisted, with so many irrelevant subplots and such far-fetched developments. On top of that it's also not very well written en in dire need of an editor. Needless to say I wanted to throw this book against the wall a couple of times. I didn't though, but I did do a lot of complaining and sighing while reading it.

The only other book I read this year that I gave just a one star rating is The Madam by Jaime Raven. This is a crime novel. about a prostitute who ends up in jail for a crime she didn't commit and once she gets out, she tries to get revenge on the people who put her in prison with the help of her prison girlfriend. This book was so bad, I don't even know where to start. It's a bad imitation of a crime novel, the main character is so very unlikable, the plot is thin and the story is resolved way too convienently. What a waste of time.


Comments