TV shows you should own on DVD: Twin Peaks

I just finished watching season 2 of the brilliant TV series Twin Peaks on DVD. To be honest, I did not even remember there was a second season. I must have seen it though, once upon a time, because the episodes (or at least the general storyline) seemed somewhat familiar.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Twin Peaks (how is that possible?) it’s this weird and quirky drama series by David Lynch about this little town somewhere in the United States called Twin Peaks.

In this usually quiet and peaceful town, the body of a young high school student named Laura Palmer is found. The series follows the investigation into the murder of Laura Palmer and the events leading up to her death.

We sound find out that there is a lot more going on in Twin Peaks than it appears on the surface. For starters, pretty much every one in the little town is having affairs with everyone else. When they are not busy sneaking around for sex or love, they are up to all sorts of other misbehaviour.

Not only are the inhabitants of Twin Peaks sneaky and adulterous, they are also very very weird. Well, most of them anyway. There is the lady who only talks to her log, a crazy woman with an eye patch (but not in a cool way like a pirate), and an equally crazy and messed up psychiatrist.

Then of course there are the strange and mysterious going ons. We are not sure whether they are memories or dreams or if these things really took place. There is a really creepy guy with one arm and a little person dancing around.

Think it all sounds a little silly? Well, that is Twin Peaks for you. Don’t worry, it is not just weird and crazy, it is also filled with attractive women. You know, in a late eighties/early nineties sort of way.

When Twin Peaks first appeared on television, sometime during the early nineties I found it all very scary. I mean, there was a murder, a mystery, creepy guys with limbs missing, crazy people and scary dreams.

I can’t say I still feel the same. I do think these series are really awesome though. All these characters are so weird, but in a good way, and the story told is very captivating. It probably helped that it had been a few years since I had seen it, but I really could not remember the storyline exactly.

So there were a few pleasant surprises when watching this series again. Also I found it very funny that Special Agent Cooper now has a role on Desperate Housewife. Can’t say the same about most other actors on this show. Apart from a few B movies, I haven’t really seen them in anything great.

If you enjoyed Twin Peaks as much as I did, why haven’t you bought it on DVD yet? And if it is all new to you, go check it out today. I promise, you won’t regret it.

Comments