Movies I’ve seen too many times: Pretty Woman

Let me start by saying this is definitely NOT one of my favourite movies. In fact, I do not really care much about it at all. However, I have probably seen it at least 20 times.

Why? You might ask. Well, let me tell you. Pretty woman has probably been shown on TV at least 10 times, but more importantly, one of my friends used to be obsessed with it. She loved this movie so much that when she bought it on DVD she watched it over and over and over again. Unfortunately, I was often around when she did.

I suppose it isn’t such a crap movie, I just don’t like the way it glamorizes prostitution. Moreover, I never could quite understand why anyone would fall head over heals with Richard Gere.

Anyways, there are probably not a lot of people who have never heard of Pretty Woman. For those of you who have been living under a rock for the last two decades: Pretty Woman is the hugely successful 1990 romantic comedy about a prostitute named Vivian (played by Julia Roberts), who is hired by a wealthy businessman named Edward (played by Richard Gere), and against all odds the two of them end up falling madly in love with each other.

The movie begins with Edward stopping to ask for directions on Hollywood Boulevard. Vivian thinks he is trying to find a date and walks over to him. She then decides to jump into his car and offers to personally show him where he needs to go. Edward in turn offers to hire her for an hour, which after an awkward conversation turns into a whole night at his luxurious hotel suite.

The next day Edward's lawyer calls him to tell him he has an important meeting that evening and he should bring a date. Edward decides it might be convenient to keep Vivian around for a while longer and he hires her to spend the week with him.

Vivian and Edward’s business relationship quickly develops into friendship. They go on several dates and spend their evenings having deep and meaningful conversations with each other. Despite her experience as a prostitute, Vivian finds herself falling in love with Edward.

This is of course the least realistic part of the movie, because in the harsh real world hookers would not be very likely to fall in love with their Johns, even if they do happen to look like Richard Gere.

Pretty woman is definitely not my favourite movie, but it is kinda fun to watch. However, as I already mentioned, it is also a very unrealistic story and I hate how this movie glamorizes prostitution. Prostitutes working Hollywood Boulevard do not usually end up living happily ever after with rich businessmen.

Do you actually love this movie? Please tell me WHY, because I think I’m missing the point.

Comments