Books I read in high school: Pride and Prejudice

I loved Jane Austen when I was in high school. I am not sure why. Perhaps I was a little more romantic then than I am these days.

I still think her novels are beautifully written, just the topic of young women looking for a good husband seems to appeal a little less to me these days. I wonder why.

Actually, my favourite Jane Austen novel is Sense and Sensibility. I am not sure how much this has to do with the fact that Kate Winslet plays in the movie adaptation of this book

Anyways, Pride and Prejudice tells the story of the Bennet family, consisting of five unmarried daughters who according to their mother should be married of to some nice, promising and rich young men.
The sisters all seem to agree, although they all have their own opinions about just what nice and promising means.

Of course over the course of the novel they all find their perfect husbands and live happily ever after.

I find it scary when I think about the fact that even in 2008 there are still women who only have one dream and that is to find the perfect husband. If all I had to live for was being a good wife I would surely kill myself.

Comments