Real life and the internet

For the last few days, I have been far too busy to blog. Don’t ask me exactly what has kept me so occupied, because I honestly could not tell you. All I know is that I hardly spent any time behind a computer last week.

Or maybe it just feels that way, especially compared to the crazy amount of time a day I usually can be found with a laptop on my lap. By the way, I think the laptop is possibly one of the best inventions ever. That, and the internet, of course.

Do you remember what your life used to be like before the internet? I certainly don’t. Actually I do, but I find it hard to imagine…or weird even…a world without e-mail or Google or Youtube.

It is almost as weird as a world without cell phones. Remember those good old days, when you could only talk to someone on the phone if they were actually at home?

You would meet up with someone and just wait patiently until they arrived. No phoning you are going to be 5 minutes late, no questions about why you did not answer your phone, and no texting.

Perhaps the world would not be all that bad without cell phones. Yep, they can take them away. As long as they let me keep my internet.

My roommate does not get my online obsession or my addiction to my laptop. Sure, she checks her e-mail and surfs the internet, but even if she tries, she can never spend more than an hour online.

She gets bored easily and keeps telling me she prefers real life. I always tell her it does not have to be a choice, you can have both. But I get where she is coming from. It was because of her that I came up with laptop free Saturday.

And I have to say, it is kind of nice to just let the computer be. Go outside, leave the house and not even think about the internet….for a few days. Or for most of those days.

Don’t worry, I could never do it for too long though. A few days max, and I am back e-mailing, blogging, surfing and chatting. We all have our hobbies, the internet is mine.

Comments