My earliest memory

My earliest memory is of me running home from kindergarten. I must have been about four years old and I remember it was around Christmas time.

We had had a little Christmas celebration dinner at kindergarten, which probably involved many things but all I recall is yellow colored pudding and ladyfingers. That, and a big round chocolaty wreathlet we all received and got to take home with us.

My mother had just picked me up from kindergarten and we were walking home together. The apartment we lived in at the time was only a few minutes away from the building where my kindergarten was.

I do not remember what day of the week it was, but it was the night that the Pinocchio cartoon came on television. I loved Pinocchio, in fact, I think it was my favorite TV program at the time. My mother had just told me that we were running late, and that meant that we might not be in time for Pinocchio.

I did not want to miss my favorite show, and therefore I decided to start running ahead of my mother. As a little four year old this made perfect sense to me, because running after all, was faster than walking.

However, what I had not thought about was the fact that my mother was not running along with me, and seeing as she had the door key, I was not really saving any time. Of course, this was way too much logic for a little four year old.

So there I was running home along the pavement, clutching my big round chocolaty wreathlet. I was running and running, trying to go as fast as possible and not really paying much attention to where I was going or what I was doing.

I remember being almost at the end of the street when I tripped and fell. I tripped and fell and I dropped my big round chocolaty wreathlet, which broke into a million pieces.

I do not remember whether I hurt myself falling, or whether or not we got home in time to watch Pinocchio. All I remember is how upset I was that my wonderful wreathlet was ruined.

I tried to pick all the little pieces of the pavement, but my mother told me not to. She said the pavement was dirty and I could not eat the chocolate anymore. I was upset, because those little bits of chocolate still looked very edible to me.

Comments