Books that shouldn’t have been made into movies: Queen of the damned

This week seems to have quite the movie theme. I did not plan it that way, it just sort of happened (sounds pretty much like my life. Hmmm).

When I was younger (read: in my twenties) I was a huge Anne Rice fan. I read every single book she ever wrote. Yes, that means I even read her erotica (Yay! Check it out if you’re feeling naughty), and all the twenty or so vampire novels she produced (Don’t! Just read the first five vampire chronicles featuring Lestat, then stop).

I really loved those first five vampire novels, and I read them over and over again. When there’s books you really enjoy, you always wonder what it would be like when they are made into movies. Would it be awesome or would it completely suck?

Turns out it can really go either way. I thought Interview with the vampire was brilliant. Besides a few minor things, it told the story of the book perfectly. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that the movie was more exciting than that first vampire novel ever was.

It is a real shame the same thing cannot be said about the movie adaptation of the third Anne Rice vampire chronicle Queen of the damned (or technically, it is about books two and three). Queen of the damned is possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
Ok maybe not the worst, but it is still pretty damn bad. The only worst book adaptation I can think of is the Ruins, even though to be honest that movie blows even if it was not based on a movie.

The only thing I liked about Queen of the damned is the way they shot the big concert scene at the beginning of the movie, which was awesome.

What I did not like? Gawd, I don’t even know where to start. Everything just looked so dumb and fake, it made me feel embarrassed to admit I was a fan of the books. In addition, Aaliyah was totally unconvincing as the “Queen of all vampires”. No offence, seeing she is dead and all, but the woman simply cannot act.

The thing I hated most about Queen of the damned though, is the total disregard of the original story. They changed crucial parts of the story, left out many important facts and details, and basically turned it into something totally different.

It could have been such a great movie….

Comments