High school friends

Yesterday I wrote about the awesomeness that are my friends. This wasn’t always the case. Back when I was in high school, I had a few friends who I thought were my best friends, but it turned out we just hung out because we were at school together.

They weren’t really best friends material. I found out about this while I was still at school. I realized they weren’t great friends and I stopped being friends with them. I know I hurt some of them by doing so, but I just had to do it.

When I was 17 me and one of my best friends at the time, went on holiday together. During this holiday she almost had us killed by driving our car into a tree.

That was not what made me reconsider our friendship, but her reaction to the car accident and almost getting killed was.

I was all scared and shaken, looking for comfort and being very happy to be alive. She on the other hand, was only preoccupied with the damage that was done to the car. She just wanted to forget about the incident, not even talk about it, and continue our holiday like nothing had happened.

That is when I realized we did not share the same values, we did not view life in the same way, and we certainly did not want the same out of our friendship. For me the most important thing in a best friend was someone I could share my thoughts and feelings with, and someone who would comfort me.

She refused to do any of those things, and looking back now, I think she probably was not even able to. Shortly after our holiday, I decided I no longer wanted to be friends with her.

It is never an easy decision, but sometimes you are better of without someone.

Comments