New Year’s resolutions

Happy New Year every one! A new year, a new chance to start fresh. This is the time when many people try to stick to all their New Year’s resolutions. They are usually not very successful. There are exceptions though.

Exactly two years ago, today I decided to quit smoking. I had been a heavy chain smoker for about 15 years and basically my whole life revolved around smoking. I quit cold turkey and I haven’t had a cigarette since.

It is one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I am so happy that I did. I think that was the only time I ever made a New Year’s resolution and actually followed through. And it will remain the only one for a while, I think.

No New Year’s resolutions for me this year. Sure, there are plenty of things I want to do and accomplish, but I am not going to list them today and hope they will happen. If there is one thing I have learned it is that usually life just happens while you are busy making other plans (thanks John).

This time last year I was about to leave Germany to start a life of homelessness and unemployment. I did not have a clue what was going to happen…I did spend a lot of time planning what I wanted to happen, but life took some unexpected turns.

Now I find myself a year later with an awesome new job and an awesome new apartment. I now live in a city I never thought I’d move to, enjoying aspects of my new job I always thought I’d hate. Life is weird like that sometimes.

So no resolutions for me this year. I’m just going to live my life and enjoy it! How about you?

Comments