I used to be covered in piercings

When I was eighteen I had my nose pierced. It was something I had wanted to do for years. Up to then I had only had piercings in my ears, which over the years had turned into quite the silverware collection.

I thought piercings were the coolest thing ever and I could not wait to have a nice big ring through my nose. So finally one day I had my nose pierced, and for weeks I felt like the happiest and proudest teenager there ever was.

At first I had a little stud in there that needed to stay in place for six weeks, but once the time was up it was quickly replaced by a big studded ring that only just fitted through the hole.

I remember thinking I looked so good with it, despite what everyone else was saying. Actually most of my friends thought it was awesome too, but then they were covered in piercings and tattoos themselves.

However, my parents were less impressed and so were a lot of people on the street. I got a lot of comments hurdled at me, which I never quite understood. Why did they not like my awesome nose piercing?

I recently saw some old pictures of me with my big nose ring. Looking at it I can still remember why I felt so great about my piercing, but now I can also see what everyone else was seeing.

The studded nose ring was a bit much and I have to admit it might have also looked a little ridiculous. Here was this lovely little girl with a huge ring through her nose. I have to say it did go really well with all my other piercings though.

The piercing fun did not last very long. After a few months some of the skin around the piercings in my ears started to swell up. At first I thought it was just a little infection, but it soon turned out the skin on my ears was actually growing.

I was growing additional skin and tissue on my ears, which not surprisingly totally freaked me out. As soon as a doctor had looked at it, he told me I had to take out all of my piercings, including the one in my nose.

I was a little reluctant to do so, even though I of course realized that something was very wrong.

In the end I needed to have extensive plastic surgery in order to have the lumps removed, and have my ears reconstructed into their original form. I think it took about four or five surgeries in total, which were very painful and it never really resulted in my ears looking like they did before I had had all the piercings.

Good thing there are always many ways to cover your ears so no one can notice it. I am just lucky I took out the nose piercing in time, or else my nose would now be as misshaped as my ears are.

Comments