Don’t see it: Miss Conception

When I first heard about this movie, I already thought it was total crap, but that unfortunately did not stop me from seeing it anyway. Miss Conception is a romantic comedy about a woman who desperately wants to have a baby.

The movie is neither romantic nor funny, and I will go as far as to say it is probably the worst movie I have seen this year. In fact, I even have trouble thinking of any movie that was worse than this one. Therefore, I feel I have to warn you: Don’t see it! If you are not convinced yet I am right, do please read on.

In Miss Conception we meet Georgina (played by Heather Graham), a woman in her thirties who is obsessed with getting pregnant and having a baby, before it is too late and she is too old. However, her boyfriend Zak does not feel like he is ready to become a father yet.
Of course, this leads to major conflicts in their relationship and eventually Georgina makes him move out. It is hard to believe they were together for six years, because the character of Georgina is so silly and clueless, not to mention annoying, Zak should have left years ago.

Once Georgina gets rid of Zak she comes up with the brilliant idea to go on a quest to find a man to get her pregnant before her biological clock run out. Her best friends Clem and Justin decide to help her out, and hilarity ensues.

Or I guess it is supposed to. Her desperate quest to find a man-any man at all-to knock her up is actually more annoying and dumb than that it is funny. I would like to believe that a woman as beautiful as Georgina would not have to stoop that low in order to find a decent man interested in having a baby with her.

She goes to fertility clinics, asks co-workers, as well as random people at funerals and in nightclubs. She places fictitious rent ads, searches for guys on the internet, and even in strip clubs. One of the low points of the film for me was probably her attempt to have sex with a gay man just for his sperm.

Her total disregard as to who fathers her child is quite appalling and also very unrealistic to say the least.

Did I mention this movie also stars Mia Kirshner (Who most of you of course know as Jenny in the L word), and the best thing I can say about that is that listening to her talk in the worst fake British accent ever, was kind of amusing.

I suggest you do yourself a favour and stay the hell away from this movie. It sucks, big time. And even that is an understatement. This could have been a much better movie, if only everything about it would have been different. As it is, I think the people who made this movie should be ashamed of themselves.

Comments