Retro TV: Party of Five

Remember Party of Five? I used to love that show. This was years ago, early nineties I think, before Grey’s Anatomy, Six Feet Under, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and all those other great shows.

Every week I would watch those orphans deal with life. It is one of the first TV series I remember watching, that focused on all the every day self-created drama of being a teenager or young adult. All those crushes, unrequited love, and self-esteem issues.


Not only did I love all the drama and misery, I also loved the soundtrack of the series. That show had some great songs that always started playing whenever things got really awful and dramatic.

Another reason why I enjoyed watching Party of Five so much was because of Neve Campbell. I had such a crush on her, and this was years before I had ever seen her in Scream or watched her make out with a chick in Wild Things.

Julia was such a great character. The young insecure girl, trying to fit in and falling for the wrong boys. At least I recall her dating this bad boy named Griffith. I think she also experimented a little with girls during her college years, but unfortunately I had stopped watching the show by then.
I also loved the little sister Claudia. I never really cared much for the two boys, I thought they were both very annoying, especially Charlie. I had forgotten how much I disliked his character until the actor reappeared on Lost. It took me a whole season to start seeing him as Jack and not as dumb Charlie.

I recently bought the first season on DVD and I have to say, even though it was a little dated, I really enjoyed watching it.

Comments