Leaving Germany

In a few days I will be leaving Germany. I lived in a little town in the former eastern part of Germany for the past 2 years. It’s been quite an experience. Someone asked me the other day, if I had known what it would really be like to live here beforehand if I still would have emigrated.

To be honest, I am not sure.

There’s so many things I don’t like about this place. Yet, there’s so many things that I love. It’s a lovely town, surrounded by hills, beautiful nature, and breath taking views. You can walk everywhere, it’s quiet, it’s safe (I believe there is absolutely no crime here). I love the pubs, the Christmas markets, and the friends that I made.


The main thing I don’t like about it? It’s a small town in Germany. There’s no night life, no culture, no diversity of people. For someone who previously lived in Amsterdam for 8 years it’s been quite a contrast.

Still, I am going to miss it. I am going to miss this place, this country, this life I am leaving behind. Even though I am going to miss it, the one thing I know is that it’s time to leave. Time to move on.

I could never stay, simply because I would make a very bad German. For many reasons, but I will give you just three:

-I refuse to stand and wait for a red traffic light in the middle of town for 5 minutes when there’s no traffic coming

-I cannot go to a pub and only order drinks for myself all night

-I don’t care enough about saving the environment to turn off my nice hot morning shower when I soap in, in order to save some water.

Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland! It’s been fun…

Comments